A network must be able to meet certain criteria. The most import of them are:
- Performance can be measured in many ways. We can measure it in terms of transit time and response time.
- Transit time is defined as the amount of time required for a message to travel from one device to another and Response time is the time elapsed between enquiry and response.
- The other factors deciding the performance are as follows:
- Number of users
- Type of transmission media
- Capability of connected hardware
- Efficiency of software
- The network reliability is important because it decides the frequency at which network failure takes place. It also decides the time taken by the network to recover and its robustness in the catastrophe
- The network security refers to protection of data from the unauthorized user or access.