Queue is a very useful data structure. Various features of operating system are implemented using queue.
- Scheduling of processes (Round Robin Algorithm)
- Spooling (to maintain a queue of jobs to be printed)
- A queue of client process waiting to receive the service from the server process.
- Various application software using non-linear data structure tree or graph requires a queue for breadth first traversal.
- Simulation of a real life problem with the purpose of understanding its behavior. The probable waiting time of a person at a railway reservation counter can be found through the technique of a computer simulation if the following concerned factors are known:
- Arrival rate.
- Service time.
- Number of service counters.